Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hat Attack....Shot Fired!


Hat is done and has been mailed to my target. Completed Thursday, mailed Friday.

Details:
Fibonacci Frequency Hat by S. Quinn
ravelers can find it here.
2 skeins Therapi by South West Trading Company
30% Bowlder (Jadeite) Fiber, 50% Fine Wool, 20% silk. 100m/50g ball.
1 skein #533, 1 skein #530.
Knit Picks US size 3/3.25 mm needles, 2 circular method used

This was pretty fun to knit, but would have been more enjoyable if I wasn't in a race. Also, I found it very difficult to choose colors for a person I don't even know. I went with Red and Black because it was easy and fairly neutral...thinking if the person owns black outerwear (like I do), that it will coordinate. Hopefully the recipient will like it. :)

It took me 3 tries to get gauge, sort of. I kind of cheated. I started with size 5s and was getting about 5-5.5 sts per inch. Then I went to size 4s. I got about 6 sts per inch, so I decided size 3 was the way to go, but didn't really swatch. I started to, but then I saw the pattern was released and just decided to start knitting.

After the 4 repeats, I measured and got about 8.5 inches. I was a bit nervous about being too short, but discovered that being within an inch is acceptable. I did not take a final measurement. (I forgot!)

Comments about the fiber. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of SWTC's yarn. I have used soy silk for my Clapotis and found quite a few knots in the yarn. The colorways leave something to be desired, for my taste. I would like to try their Bamboo, though.
This yarn felt great, but was not the greatest to knit with. I found it to be somewhat split-y and also found bumps or knots along the way. The final product looked great and it does make a nice fabric. The sheen is nice, too. Would I knit with it again? Hard to say. I think I would like the same fiber in a thinner yarn. However the composition of the fiber, may not lend itself to a finer yarn.

Now, I'm waiting to get killed, or I'm waiting to finish a hat...we'll see what happens next.

Sorry for the not great quality photo. I took it with my iPhone because I can't find the digital camera. Still not unpacked, of course! Even if I could find the digital camera, I probably won't be able to locate its charger.

About the blog. I hope to post at least once a week. But I can't commit to much until things are more settled at home. Still not sure about this month's Daring Bakers, but we'll see.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hi Juliet!!!! I'll put the W, pattern and DPNs in the mail to you tomorrow. Miss you!!